How Mold Is Affecting Your Pets

How Mold Is Affecting Your PetsHave you noticed your dog’s nose is running a lot lately? Or, perhaps, your cat seems to be sneezing a lot more than usual. From typical cold-type symptoms to other allergic reactions, like excessive scratching, these may be indications that your pet has been exposed to household mold.

While you may not react to some molds, pets often do. Various types of mold can be extremely toxic to dogs, cats, and other animals. In this Absolute Maintenance and Consulting article, we will help you understand the ramifications of household mold, and how this minuscule fungus can adversely affect your furry friends. We will also cover how to recognize symptoms of mold allergies in pets and how to remove the mold from your home with a Los Angeles mold inspector.

Call Us Today For A FREE Estimate

Where Does Mold Come From?

While you may not even notice it, at first, mold can start growing anywhere in your home where there is excessive moisture or condensation. Typically, mold grows in bathrooms and kitchens more frequently than in other parts of the house, but it really can crop up anywhere there is a water leak, pooled water, or condensation.

Household mold is usually black, or a dark blackish green color and the texture may appear as a slimy film or tiny, pinpoint dots. Even if you don’t see the mold, sometimes you can smell it. Household mold has a musty odor, similar to the smell of dirt, or the way grass smells after it rains. If you can see or smell either of these signs, you probably have a case of mold in your home, and you should contact a Los Angeles mold inspector as soon as possible.

How Mold Can Harm Your Pets

Allergic reactions to mold are common among people and animals. When humans breathe in mold spores, which are active in the air surrounding the area of growth itself, we may experience any number of cold-type symptoms, including sneezing, watery eyes, sore throat, or a cough.

For pets, the risk of contracting a mold borne allergy or illness is even higher, because animals can be exposed to the spores via the air or eating them. While humans would, of course, never want to eat mold, animals are sometimes curious about interesting new smells and textures, which can lead to the consumption of all kinds of dangerous substances. That is why it is important to call a Los Angeles mold inspector before you buy a new home. It can help eliminate the risk of it sneaking up in the future, and slowly eating at your pets.

When a cat, dog or other pet licks or eats mold, there can be very serious effects, much worse than a mere cold-type experience. Some animals experience gastrointestinal upset after consuming mold, similarly to how humans experience food poisoning. Others may have nose bleeds, muscle spasms, or even seizures. In more severe cases, eating mold can result in liver or brain damage, kidney disease, or pulmonary hemorrhage.

As you can see, it is very important to understand that mold exposure is extremely harmful to all your pets, and, in many cases, your pet could die from the toxicity.

Call Us Today For A FREE Estimate

Symptoms Of Mold Poisoning In Pets

So, how do you know if your pet has been poisoned by exposure to household mold? There are signs and symptoms you can watch for to catch the problem before it gets worse.

The following are all potential signs that your pet has been poisoned by toxic household mold.

Symptoms To Watch For:

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Coughing, wheezing
  • Running nose, sneezing
  • Vomiting, diarrhea
  • Decreased appetite
  • Shaking, shivering
  • Spasms or seizures
  • Itchy or watery eyes
  • Nose bleeds
  • Bleeding from mouth
  • Biting the paws
  • Fur loss from scratching
  • Fatigue, excessive sleeping
  • Lethargy or depression
  • Sudden collapse

If you notice any of these symptoms, you should contact your vet for advice. In cases of spasms, seizures, or collapse, take your pet to an emergency veterinary clinic immediately. If these signs arise in your home, you should contact a Los Angeles mold inspector to keep mold from growing in your home, and ensure the safety of your pet.

Protecting Pets From Household Mold

What if your pet is not showing any symptoms? Sadly, household mold can be a silent, nearly invisible killer so, you must keep your home as clear from the mold as possible.

Follow these simple procedures to keep mold from growing in your home:

1. Ensure That All Leaks Are Repaired Quickly.

Any leak, from a kitchen sink to a shower, can cause mold to grow if it is not dealt with quickly. Ensure that mold never has an opportunity to build up due to leaky plumbing by having these issues repaired as soon as you can.


2. Keep Pet Food Contained When It’s Not Mealtime.

Feed your pets on a schedule and keep their food sealed up in air-tight containers when not in use.


3. Clean Food And Water Dishes Regularly.

Ensuring that pets have clean dishes will help prevent the growth of toxic mold in and around their food and water.


4. Pet-Proof Your Trash Can.

Make sure that pets can’t get into your trashcan, as eating old and rotting food can easily cause mold poisoning in animals. Keep pets out of the kitchen entirely or, use a trash can with a lid that seals tightly.


5. Keep Pet Toys Clean.

Toys can also be a source of mold, especially those which are made from fabric or porous materials. Wash toys with non-toxic soap regularly to keep mold from growing.


6. Clean High-Traffic Areas.

Clean your pet’s commonly used items and high-traffic areas of the house regularly. This includes everything from where your dog sleeps to where you keep the cat’s litter box. You should keep bathtubs, beds, cages, and anything else your pet uses clean and dry.


7. Promote Clean Airflow.

Stagnant air is almost as bad as stagnant water when it comes to creating a breeding ground for toxic mold. If your home is too warm or humid, and there is not regular airflow, you may be making it very easy for mold to grow. Open windows when you can, use a fan, or add a dehumidifier to your home to promote clean airflow and decrease the risk of mold growth.


When To Call The Experts

What if you can’t prevent the mold from growing or getting worse? Or, what if you don’t think you have a mold problem, but you aren’t sure? Any time you aren’t sure if you have mold, you should call an expert.

When you need a Los Angeles mold inspector, we have your back. Give Absolute Maintenance and Consulting a call, and we will be happy to walk you through our process of mold inspection and eradication.

Don’t let your pets be exposed unnecessarily to toxic household mold. Take steps today to keep your animals safe.

Call Us Today For A FREE Estimate

Schedule Your

Free

Estimate

This offer is for a general estimate only – does not include water intrusion investigation or full mold investigation inspections.

 

compact

LA-Mold-Experts-find-us-on-Angies

amc different

concrobium-left

Exclusive licensed user of Concrobium’s revolutionary Mold Control products.

recycle-left

Absolute Maintenance is a USA ECO-Friendly company. We use chemical-free mold spraying and all-natural, non-toxic products that deodorize, sanitize and sterilize the environment, backed by a “written” Lifetime Warranty.

an

Absolute Maintenance received super service award for achieving and maintaining a superior service rating on Angie’s list throughout 2015.