To waterproof stucco and prevent leaks, there are several types of paints, sealers, and coatings that can be used. The choice of product depends on the specific needs and requirements of the stucco surface. Here are some commonly used options:
1. Acrylic-based Waterproofing Paint: Acrylic-based paints specifically designed for waterproofing stucco are readily available. These paints create a protective barrier on the surface, preventing water penetration while allowing the stucco to breathe.
2. Elastomeric Coatings: Elastomeric coatings are flexible, durable, and have excellent waterproofing properties. These coatings can bridge small cracks and provide a seamless, waterproof barrier. They are often applied in thick layers and can stretch to accommodate movement in the stucco.
3. Silicone-based Sealers: Silicone-based sealers are water repellent and can provide excellent waterproofing for stucco surfaces. These sealers penetrate into the pores of the stucco, creating a hydrophobic barrier that repels water.
4. Cementitious Waterproof Coatings: Cementitious coatings are specially formulated to waterproof masonry surfaces, including stucco. They are typically applied as a thin layer and form a waterproof barrier when cured. These coatings often contain additives like acrylic or latex to improve flexibility and durability.
5. Penetrating Sealers: Penetrating sealers are designed to deeply penetrate the stucco surface and create a water-repellent barrier within the material. These sealers do not significantly change the appearance or texture of the stucco but provide long-lasting protection against water infiltration.
When selecting a product or contract, consider factors such as condition of the stucco, climate conditions, moisture in the climate or in the area where you live, and the desired aesthetic outcome.
We always recommend you consult with a professional and review the manufacturer’s guidelines, or both, or that your professional you use does consult with the manufacturer’s guidelines, or is an assigned, certified applicator for this product and/or techniques.
Additionally, any trade certified waterproofing contractor knows to put up samples on desired building substrate to check for property and other techniques for the desired outcome.
Here at AMC, Absolute Maintenance Consulting, we have over 35 years of experience in this type of sealant waterproofing technology.